Thursday, April 24, 2008

Effects of Japanese-Mongolian Relations on Mongolia

I intend to study the effects of Japanese foreign policy on Mongolia. My project will analyze the cultural and political influence that Japan has had (and continues to have) on Mongolia. This research is of particular interest because little research has been done in the past on it, yet the
influence of Japan is an important force acting on the development of Mongolia. I am an anthropology major who is minoring in Japanese with an Interdisciplinary certificate in East Asian Studies. This research will give me vital experience in the field, helping me to gain a better grasp on the methodology used in field research. This research will build upon an image survey conducted by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I will conduct interviews with teachers of Japanese to analyze aspects of secondary language acquisition. Because Japan is Mongolia’s biggest supplier of foreign aid, I will visit some of the Japan International Cooperation Agency’s (JICA) new development projects. In addition, I will
visit the Japanese-led archaeological site in Hentiy Aimag, which is currently the best-funded archaeological site in Mongolia. Parallels between Mongolian wrestling and Japanese Sumo wrestling also provide an opportunity for research. As such, I will visit Tov Aimag to look at the
wrestling camp there. Most of this research will consist of doing interviews making use of a tape recorder and a translator.


I expect that this research will show the importance of foreign aid on public opinion, as well as highlighting the similarities and differences between Japanese and Mongolian culture that help to shape public opinion. I would also like to teach English while in Mongolia. From this I hope to gain first-hand insight on language teaching methods in Mongolia.

No comments: